Subscribe

RSS Feed (xml)

Powered By

Skin Design:
Free Blogger Skins

Powered by Blogger

Friday, August 3, 2007

Gone fishing

My summer is quickly coming to an end and I can't seem to pack enough stuff in. I have to paint our bedroom, organize the study, buy my law books and read the first assignments, and finish up any pending web projects.

Of course, I had to head up to the hallowed waters of Fish Lake for my annual fishing trip. Last weekend I got permission from Rachael to fish away for a few days with my uncle Stewart and my cousins Jessie and Courtney.

We went to Daniel's Canyon on Saturday. To this day I have yet to see any signs that say "Daniel's Canyon", but that's what my family has been calling it for years. It basically consists of driving on an old washout road leading out of Fish Lake for some 10 miles. Then we park the truck and start hiking down into a rather steep canyon. It takes us a little over an hour to hike in and close to double that hiking out.

Tradition keeps drawing us back every year. The fishing isn't bad either. All we catch are small little brook trout, but it's fun to string up the fly fishing rod and put some worms on a hook. Altogether we brought out about 15 fish; we probably caught triple that but threw most of them back in.

My Grandpa Ole loved to go fishing there. It was his little piece of heaven to share with his son for years and then his grandsons. Even though the hike in and out is arduous, I know I'll always go back.

On Sunday it rained the whole day which is good because it didn't encourage us to go out fishing. But early Monday morning we got out on the lake. I think I much prefer the fishing on the boat because one can just cast out and wait for the taps. The weather was perfect and the water was glassy smooth. We put out our anchor at our favorite "cheese whole" on the north end and it didn't take long for the four of us to start reeling them in.

It was perhaps one of the best days on the lake that I've had in years. We only had the boat rented for half the day and had to get back to Vegas that day, but in just a few hours we pulled in 24 good looking fish. Stewart and Jessie got some of the biggest rainbow trout I've seen. I caught a healthy five, but their size paled in comparison.

Right when we got off the lake, the afternoon storm came in. It was blue skies all around except for right on the lake. It seems that Fish Lake has always been able to create its own weather no matter what the weather patterns are doing in the rest of Utah. I think that just adds to the mystic of the lake for me.

I came back happy and relaxed, and I've already started the countdown for next year's fishing trip when I return to my beloved Fish Lake.

No comments: