Subscribe

RSS Feed (xml)

Powered By

Skin Design:
Free Blogger Skins

Powered by Blogger

Thursday, November 1, 2007

The real season opener

Although the NBA season started two nights ago, the real season opener begins tonight for me. The Phoenix Suns open their season tonight on the road against the Oklahoma...err...Seattle Super Sonics. Obviously, I'm not too worried about tonight's contest or basically any game against any team not from San Antonio.

The off-season was a little bumpy for my beloved Suns. First we gave up our best defender (Kurt Thomas) we had for Timmy for pennies. I've never hated an accounting check with so much vigor - I hate you luxury tax!! Then the rumors of trades started after Marion "demanded" to be traded. I was sick of it all. I couldn't fathom how Marion would be happier being "the man" on a different team. I love Marion, I have ever since he spent his one year at UNLV, but man, what is he thinking??!! Gets to play inn the playoffs every year, is recognized by his peers (All-star, team USA), gets to play with this generation's greatest play-maker. To quote Bill Simmons:

You bonehead! You get to play with Steve Nash! You're in the absolute perfect situation! Why don't you call Joe Johnson and ask him how Atlanta worked out, you bozo? Aaaaaaaaaaaaargh!!!!!! Unbelievable. Shawn Marion should be high-fiving himself every morning that Nash and Mike D'Antoni passed through his life. ... Instead, he's debating the pros and cons of carrying a mediocre team? I give up. This league seems hopeless sometimes.
Anyway, the rumors died down, looks like Marion will stay for at least this year, and then we got Grant Hill for pennies (probably worth only pennies since he'll tweak his ankle within a month after running with these guys).

So things look good for the season. I've always said come playoff time that the winning teams succeed with skill AND luck. The bloody nose and suspensions really were just bad luck. I just think we're due for getting over the hump. The Spurs are still Suns kryptonite, but with a little luck (maybe some crazy Texan will go Tonyan Harding on Duncan's knees) we can finally win the big one.

No comments: